For those who aren’t aware Zappos are one of the leading sellers of trainers and fashion accessories in the US. Customer service is a big deal to them and they’ve made it central to their business plan. Take from this month’s Harvard Business Review (Harvard Business Review books at Amazon), we share seven of their tips to exceptional service.
- The whole company needs to be behind customer service, not just a department
Zappos achieved this by moving the entire company to Las Vegas where they could source the right staff for their call centre
- Customer service staff are given the authority and ability to deal with customer issues as they occur
One representative sent flowers to a customer who had recently suffered a death in her family
- Fire customers who are insatiable or abuse your employees
Support your team and they’ll support you
- Throw the manual and KPIs out of the window
One call centre employee was on a call for 6 hours with a customer
- They promote their call centre number
Most companies hide their call centre number, show it with pride
- See the call centre as a marketing function rather than an operational facility
That way you can view call centre as an investment rather than an expense
- Finally, share examples of great customer service with the entire company
Don’t just give out employee of the month award or prizes, give customer service reps the credit and the fame
To read the full detail of the story you can purchase the July/August edition of Harvard Business Review at a good newsagent.
What are your customer service tips and where did you learn them from?
Image credits http://www.flickr.com/photos/sling_flickr/